A mythical universal/spiritual deity whose mighty powers are said to be infinite, godly and unlimited, the Avatar is the master of Ōban and the organizer of the Great Race of Ōban which bears its name. His appearances on Alwas are always a terrifying and imposing experience: the Avatar is more than sixty-five-feet tall, his voice roars like thunder and he projects a powerful aura of light around himself. The real motives behind why he organizes such an event, and gives the winner the "Ultimate Prize", remain a mystery for much of the series.
The Avatar's powers are said to be unlimited but he can't use them for his own interests, as the Avatar is the guardian deity and protector of the Galaxy. Various abilities used by the Avatar include:
- Cosmic energy projection
- Psychic abilities
- Extrasensory perception
- Exceptional healing abilities
- Reality warping
- Time Control
- Shape shifting
- Control over the elements of nature: Water, Fire, Earth, Air, Light and Darkness
- Spiritual powers
- Life-Force Manipulation
- astral projection
- Spiritual and cosmic symbiosis
- Increase host's abilities to incalculable power-levels as well bestow new powers that are even stronger.
Even though these powers are immense, there are also a few limitations to them: an Avatar can rule for only 10,000 years after which he will cease to exist and, as this time limit draws near, he will become increasingly weakened. Also, an Avatar cannot revive deceased persons as it is said that even he wouldn't dare to tamper with the kingdom of the dead.
Due to constantly being reborn and reincarnated into another body, the Avatar therefore possesses a divided mind
- Canaletto - former Avatar who refused to give up his powers and was imprisoned for this.
- Satis - the Avatar at the start of the series.
- Jordan C. Wilde - the current Avatar, after the Earth Team won the Great Race.
- It seems that an Avatar can defend his title during the Great Race, as Satis participated in the race which followed the one won by him.