The "Ultimate Prize" which is rewarded at the conclusion of every Great Race is that of the position of the next Avatar. There are only three known Avatars, being Canaletto (the previous Avatar), Satis (the acting Avatar at the start of the series), and Jordan Wilde (the acting Avater by the series' conclusion), though there are most certainly countless more that predate the series beginning.
The Avatar's powers are said to be unlimited but he can't use them for his own interests, as the Avatar is the guardian deity and protector of the Galaxy. Various abilities used by the Avatar include:
- Cosmic energy projection
- Psychic abilities
- Extrasensory perception
- Exceptional healing abilities
- Reality warping
- Time Control
- Shape shifting
- Control over the elements of nature: Water, Fire, Earth, Air, Light and Darkness
- Spiritual powers
- Life-Force Manipulation
- Astral Projection
- Spiritual and cosmic symbiosis
- Increase host's abilities to incalculable power-levels as well bestow new powers that are even stronger.
Even though these powers are immense, there are also a few limitations to them. An Avatar can rule for only 10,000 years. Should the current Avatar be of a species whose lifespan is less than that, then they will succumb to their age the moment they give up their position.
Additionally, the Avatar does not need to be an altruistic being. If it serves the universe, they may do as they will. Hence Canaletto's plan to rewrite the universe possibly being permitted under the guise that it is for the greater good of everything. On top of this, the ceremony conducted to grant the title to the winner of the competition is not well-defended, and if the victor hesitates, its entirely possible for the event to be hijacked and the Avatar position to be taken by someone undeserving.
It is revealed by Satis when confronted by Molly that the Avatar is forbidden from interfering with the Kingdom of the Dead, and thus, is unable to resurrect, or even contact the deceased.
Due to constantly being reborn and reincarnated into another body, the Avatar therefore possesses a divided mind, which can lead to confusion.
One noteworthy characteristic is that, at least with Jordan, the the lengths of the Avatar's power can grow beyond the body of a mortal, giving them an enigmatic appearance until they can hone and master their abilities.
Known Avatars Edit
- Canaletto - former Avatar who refused to give up his powers and was imprisoned for this.
- Satis - the Avatar at the start of the series.
- Jordan C. Wilde - the current Avatar, after the Earth Team won the Great Race.
- It seems that an Avatar can defend his title during the Great Race, as Satis participated in the race which followed the one won by him.
- The concept of the Avatar is similar to that of the eponymous Avatar featured in Nickelodeon's Avatar franchise, in that they are a very powerful being that is reincarnated endlessly as time goes on. That is about where the similarities end, however.